Community Inclusion Designs
Much of the focus of healthcare providers, therapists, and special education providers has been on providing intervention, education, and training to individuals with disabilities and their families for the individual with disabilities to access and participate in the community. Typically, there is not a lot of education and support for community organizations and businesses to be inclusive of individuals with disabilities and their families. Play and Grow Therapy wants to provide organizations and businesses in the community need to be inclusive of all abilities.
Community Inclusion Services
Play and Grow Therapy wants to ensure everyone is able to access their community.
Educational training can be customized to meet the needs of your business or community resource. Educational training can cover but are not limited to the following topics:
- Person First Language
- What are “invisible disabilities”
- Adapting/Modifying programs to meet the needs of individuals with disabilities
- Universal Design
- Sensory Processing
- Disability Awareness
- Making the public library more inclusive of children and families with developmental disabilities
- Supporting individuals with Autism and their families at church
Individualized inclusive designs
Individualized plan to meet the specific needs of an individual with a disability to achieve goals.
Consulting with community partners to develop inclusive environments and programs: Working with community businesses and resources to assess needs and identify goals for inclusion, develop a specific plan to meet goals, and provide training and/or resources for the community partner to meet goals to facilitate inclusion of people with disabilities. Examples of consulting with community partners:
- Development of sensory storytime at a public library
- Development of quiet break room in the church for children with disabilities
- Integrating sensory strategies and opportunities into classroom
- Development of sensory break stations or sensory/calming room
- Autism and/or Sensory friendly programs
- Designing inclusive public spaces, such as parks
If you would like to partner with Play And Grow Therapy to improve inclusiveness in your community, please contact us.